Foods which are produced and packaged without any food additives, pesticides or chemicals are the “organic foods”. So these foods have no alteration in their nutrition while processing. Without any extra added substance, it possesses the full of it only.And this very reason gives them the authentic possession in the food world for babies and adults both.In this article, I’m going to give you a little but informative journey through a world of organic food for babies where you will get the maximum of it hopefully.
Firstly, let me point out for you the positivity of organic foods on your baby’s health-
- It reduces the chance of getting toxicity through foods in the body. And it is a very important fact as we are daily getting many toxic substances from the air also. So organic foods may reduce the nit toxicity for the baby.
- Organic foods for babies are one of the healthy choices for diet. Because of children, more specifically infants, are more prone to chemicals as they possess a growing immune system.
- Studies have shown that some organic foods have more nutritional level than the conventional one.
Organic baby milk has been found to have 60-80% more nutrients in summer and 50-60% more in winter than the conventional milk. It also contains more Vitamin E. Apart from these organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce also have 20-40% more nutrients.
So now the choice is yours what to choose for baby food between organic and conventional.
- 1 Why Organic Food for Babies is essential ?
- 1.1 Best Organic Baby Foods
- 1.2 Recipes of Organic Foods for Babies
- 1.3 Facts about organic foods for babies
- 1.4 Final Verdict
Why Organic Food for Babies is essential ?
- A recent study has compared organic foods to non-organic. And it shows a higher concentration of omega-3 fatty acids in organic foods. Let me add here for you that omega-3 is a heart-healthy substance.
- According to Benbrook, an assessment states 94% reduction of health risk issues among those who eat organic foods in lieu of conventional or non-organic products.
- It is said that organic foods can decrease the chance of concentration and depression problems in babies also.
- Having organic foods can reduce the risk of ADD (attention deficit disorder) in children.
- Organic has more nutrients than the conventional have as there is no use of any chemical or pesticides which can alter the nutrient into the soil or diminish it.
- A study in Mexico showed a higher growth rate in children who ate organics from a neighboring village who did not.
- A study of British Journal of Nutrition showed that 815 two-year-olds who ate organic dairy products had fewer chances of eczema and wheezing than the group who ate conventional foods.
- Most of the people have also voted organic foods as tastier than non-organic foods.
Considering the upper discussion, I can easily assure you of organic food as a healthy baby food.
Baby foods are made for 3 different stages – stage 1 (4 -6 months)
- stage 2 (6-8 months)
- stage 3 (8-10 months and older)
Organic baby food brands have made organic baby food products like pouches, organic baby snacks, foods keeping these 3 stages in the mind. It means they have organic baby food for infants, for toddlers, for kids.
Best Organic Baby Foods
“I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food.”
Robert Orben (1927–) American humorist.
Let me state here some best organic baby foods for you guys-
Gerber organic baby cereal
This brand is well known mostly for iron enrichment. As we all know the demand of a growing baby for iron, so it is the best choice to have in that case.
More of it:
- It contains 45% iron per serving, 2 gm. of sugar and .5 to 1 gm. of fat.
- It has oatmeal flavor, brown rice flavor, Oatmeal with peach and apple flavors.
- It has been tested by using with breast milk and children seem to love it.
- Brown rice and oatmeal are 2 organic source of choline which is beneficial to support brain and eye development.
- While enhancing your baby’s food from breast milk to solid foods, most of the mothers have chosen this for an easy swallow and good taste.
- It also contains vitamins and minerals.
- It is cheaper than others.
Earth’s best organics
While talking about organic food for babies, “earth’s best organics” will surely be the first one to think about. Earth’s best is most probably the first one also to be certified as a 100% organic food. So you can be assured on the production procedure surely by seeing its 100% organic and GMO-free tag.
Now I will highlight to you its other benefits also-
- It has a very good options list to make your choice list small by having products for infants, toddlers, and kids. They have a variety for older kids like snacks or Tiffin to take to the school.
- If any mother is unable to breastfeeding due to any reason, she can easily choose the earth’s best infant formula.
It should also be included that-
- It contains 0 gm. of sugar. So it may taste blander but it is found that while mixing with breast milk, babies seem to like it even though.
- Flavors should be considered very well while choosing for sensitive babies.
It is relatively a new product on the market. But having good feature and taste, it has become famous among mothers. It also supplies foods for mothers like prenatal snacks and supplements.
Some facts about Happy baby to know-
- Happy bellies probiotics cereal was the first organic baby cereal on the market to be optimized with probiotics and DHA. These are good for healthy digestion and brain & eye development
- They had made some gluten-free baby foods first thinking of its effect in digestive intolerance.
- They have made people known to the baby food pouches first in the market which is now widely used for carrying baby food even in a busy station easily.
- They have a different collection of organic toddler food keeping the toddler nutrition in mind. They have toddler formula, pouches, and crispy veggie snacks. They give organic baby snacks in five categories- Super foods, Love My Veggies, Fiber and Protein, Super Smart and Morning meals. And all of these are produced giving the optimal blend of nutrition for growing toddlers.
- They give you “Gentle Teething Wafers“which are perfect for your teething babies.
- Their “Happy Baby Super food Puffs” are a great choice for babies who are learning to feed by themselves.
Ella’s products are made and packaged fully considering children’s thoughts, tastes, and preferences. It can be preferred as the baby food for your organic baby.
More to know of it:
- Ella’s products are divided into 4 categories
- For babies who are 12 months and up, there are crispy toddler’s snacks for them which they can easily feed themselves.
- Yummy in taste
Plum organic baby food
This is also a lovely product for organic babies as they made their pouches thinking of every aged kid’s taste bud’s development.
More to know of it:
- These are found for all the 3 stages of babies to meet the needs of babies of different ages.
- They include simple & organic ingredients only in their recipes like whole grain, fruits, and vegetables.
- Plum’s “grow well” version gets all the selective ingredients that are helpful for babies of the first year like in their digestive support, bone & muscle development, proper DHA level.
- They have a fun line of pouches named “Eat Your Colors”. This includes beets, apples, red peppers for red, cauliflower, leek and apple for white, kiwis, apples and peas for green etc. This can be a fun game to teach your baby different colors.
- It has “super Puffs” for babies who have just started finger foods, “Mashups” for older kids.
Peter rabbit organics
This is also one of the best baby foods. It will give you an imaginary view of your garden through its contents.
More of it-
- These are simply fruits and vegetable mixtures which you can give to everyone from toddler to older babies.
- They come in fruit blends, veggie blends, and chunky organic oat crush varieties.
- They have a huge collection of different flavors like sweet fruit blends to savory veggies.
Beech nut baby foods are the only baby food that is kept in the glass jar whereas pouches are common in other brands. That’s why-
- If any parent gets the fear of chemicals like BPA, phthalates then she will definitely choose beach nut instead of any pouched puree.
- It possesses the low-heat cooking process which causes more nutritional value retention than the high-heat cooking process.
- They have a great concentration on their sourcing for high-quality ingredients.
Pure spoon uses HPP (high-pressure pasteurization) process. These have a shorter shelf life than jarred or pouched baby foods. HPP processing was first brought by pure spoon company which is concerned to be a very innovative step.
More to know-
- Short shelf life gives them the freshness and vitality which is praised by most of the people.
- They got the stage 1 & stage 2 purees
- This is an easy choice for those parents who get less time to make baby foods from scratch.
In this above discussion, you have seen that some products are in pouches and some are in jar or glass pot. Actually, it is really up to you that which one you will prefer for your comfort.
Pouches are easy to carry and are hygiene also. It is also found that most of the pouches which contain fruits and vegetables have a good amount of vitamin A, C, E. you can find pouches of different prices so it will be easy to buy.
A glass jar is also may be preferable if you have the fear of getting health issues from plastic pouches.
Some may prefer making baby foods with their own organic ingredients which they produce in their gardens. Some mothers may have the fear of giving her baby potted or jarred-food, or bought food then she can easily make her recipes with organic ingredients and give her baby the appropriate supplement.
Let me share some recipes of organic foods for babies-
Recipes of Organic Foods for Babies
Infant rice cereal
You will need ½ cup of brown rice and 2 cups of water.
Boil water and blend dry rice in a blender at a time for 30-60 seconds. Blend rice until it’s a cornmeal consistency. Add rice to water and reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stir frequently for about 10-15 minutes until rice is no longer chewy. Now, cool it before serving. You can add breast milk or formula for your desired consistency.
Blackberry kale apple puree
You will need 2 organic apples, 1 cup organic blackberries, 1 cup baby kale, and ½ cup of water, breast milk or formula.
Place the chopped apples, blackberries, and kale into a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. Boil water in the medium heat. And then put the apples, berries, and kale into a blender and puree. Add ¼ cup of liquid at a time until you get your desired consistency.
Sweet potato pear red pepper
Ingredients you may need are- 1 organic sweet potato, 1 organic red pepper, 1 organic pear.
Chop sweet potato, red pepper, and pear. Put the sweet potato in the steamer pot over boiling hot water and cover for 10 minutes. Then add red pepper and pear and steam for another 5-10 minutes or wait until the pear is tender. Let them cool slightly and then put them in the blender. Puree until smooth. You can add water to get your desired consistency for your baby.
Apple green beans broccoli puree
Ingredients for this- 2 organic dessert apples, ½ cup broccoli florets, ½ cup green beans.
Core and chop apple. Trim and chop green beans. Place all the 3 into steamer pot over boiling water and wait for 10 minutes. Place all of them in a blender and puree until your desired consistency comes out
Roasted Pear Dates Orange
Ingredients for this – 2 organic pears, 5-6 organic dates, pitted juice of 1 orange.
Preheat oven to 425 and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pears into smaller pieces, place on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. At the same time, place dates in a small bowl and pour hot water over them. Wait for 10 minutes.
When pears are done, add pears, dates and orange juice into a blender. Blend until you get a chunky consistency.
This will last for 5 days in fridge or 3 months in a freezer.
Now, this may conclude the discussion on the organic baby food brands or recipes for babies. But you can find a question on “how will you identify the real organic food for babies?”
Let me also give you the solution for this-
- Ingredients: Focus on the ingredients label if it is said “organic ingredients” then you may take the product as the real organic baby food.
- USDA-Organic seal: it indicates it contains 95% organic ingredients. It is mostly found in USA organic products.
- 100% organic: it indicates that the product is fully free of chemicals, pesticides, hormones, GMO; s.
- GM-free: it doesn’t indicate organic food. It just says that it is devoid of genetically-modified organisms.
- Made with organic ingredients: this states that it is made of 70% organic ingredients.
- Organic: this tag states that it is 95% organic.
- Certified organic: it states that it is 100% organic.
I must enlighten you with some facts about organic foods to have proper knowledge of it. So here I’m adding some more points to know.
Facts about organic foods for babies
- All organic snacks are not healthy. So you should also be careful in this case also.
- Nutritionist Dr. rosemary Stanton said,
“Using organic ingredients is to be applauded, but there’s nothing healthy about organic sugar or organic cornflour.”
- Organic foods not only have high quality but also have a high rate. So the price tag on this may not get appreciation from every parent.
- Organic foods for babies do not declare that it is the only healthiest food for your baby. So you should not just pick organic baby food solely for your child’s nutrition.
Hearing all, we may come to this conclusion that organic food for babies is a good supplement to provide nutrition, enough growth & development. But while choosing organic snacks, you should get a little bit cautious. And keeping everything aside, if you produce organic foods in your garden and then give it to your baby along with breast milk (if the baby is 6 months) then it will be a great step towards your child’s growth as pesticide or chemical residues in baby’s body will be less to hinder its growth.