Green tea is the most common beverage nowadays after water. It is widely used for its benefits to lots of aspects of our body. It is the least oxidized tea which is maybe the cause of its name also.
A research scientist of nutrition;
Christopher Ochner says,
“It’s the healthiest thing I can think to drink”.
Green tea possesses a good amount of nutrition which causes its positive actions towards our body.
Green tea nutrition table: per 1 cup serving (245g)
- 1 Green tea nutrition table: Per 1 cup serving (245g)
- 2 Green tea for Skin Care
- 3 Best Brand of Green Tea for Skin
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Green tea nutrition table: Per 1 cup serving (245g)
After knowing that it’s a magical low-caloric tea, you must be wondering about how to have it to get the benefits and also the best time to drink green tea.
- Don’t use boiling water as it destroys catechin component of tea. Boil the water. Then let it rest for 10 minutes. Then use it and again wait and brew for 1 minute before serving.
- Don’t drink it with an empty stomach as it may cause you dehydration and liver problems.
- Always drink green tea at least 2 hours before/after having meal. As it may cause less absorption of some nutrients.
- Have it before doing exercise as it will enhance the calorie loss then and help you to have good physique quickly.
- You can have both the cold green tea and hot green tea as they contain the same amount of nutrition. Only exception is that cold green tea contains a little bit more caffeine in it than the hot one.
Green tea has enormous effects on skin. It is a miracle component to enhance your beauty. It also improves your hair growth, weight loss, brain function, mind refreshment.
Green tea for Skin Care
Green tea benefits for skin acne:
Acne is the result of hormonal imbalance, inflammation, irritation, oily skin, grease and dust. Green tea diminishes all these causes.
Green tea increases sex hormone binding globules and thus reduces the level of bioactive hormones.
Its ECGC content prevents the conversion of testosterone to DHT and DHT is a cause of acne formation. So this way green tea helps to reduce acne. Green tea also reduces the rate of systemic inflammation in your skin which may cause acne.
Oily skins are more prone to form acne. Green tea shrinks your skin pores resulting less oil on the skin. Thus your skin will not be the oily one to have more acne chances. A study shows that a product containing 3% green tea extract results in 70% less sebum production on skin.
Green tea has already shown in at least 3 studies to improve mild to moderate acne.
High blood sugar is also very bad for your skin. It can cause acne formation. And we all know the efforts of green tea in weight losing by reducing blood sugar and so on.
So regular consumption of green tea will lower your blood sugar and this will cause less production of sebum. Less sebum will make your skin acne free.
Green tea leaves also contain polyphenolic component; which is the anti-inflammatory component. This element helps you to fight against the culprits that causes acne. Its ECGC will also reduce acne scars.
Green tea on Skin Hyperpigmentation:
Melanin is the pigment which gives your skin its color. Green tea can stop tyrosinase that can reduce the level of melanin production. Its Vitamin C prevents the accumulation of melanin in certain areas.
You can use green tea bags under your eye for 15 minutes to improve the condition of dark under eye pigmentation. You can also use green tea masks on the problematic areas.
Green tea on skin complexion:
Green tea helps on face whitening by many ways.
It has :
- This component shrinks our skin pores and reduce the sebum secretion which will make your skin look brighter becoming less oily.
- Oligomeric proanthocyanidins which is a natural exfoliator. It cleanses all the impurities of skin.
- Vitamins and nutrients reduces melanin production helping in better complexion.
- ECGC which helps in rejuvenating old skin cells.
- Catechins improve skin inflammation making it soothe.
- Caffeine and tannins which shrink blood vessels around the eye area. This reduces under eye darkness and also swelling and puffiness.
You can use green tea for better complexion in this ways :
- Green Tea, Honey & Lemon juice –
Cut open at least 2 used green tea bags. Take out the contents and pour them. Mix 1-2 tsp of honey. Add some lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your face for about 10 minutes then wash with water.
You can avoid lemon juice if you have irritation to it.
- Green tea with aloe Vera.
- Green tea, rice flour, lemon juice mixture. It is mainly good for oily skin.
- Only green tea with cold water.
Apart from these green tea also benefits your skin by giving –
- Skin maintenance: green tea is full of Vitamin B2 & E and both of them are active in maintaining skin. B2 maintains collagen levels for a better skin structure and E hydrates skin keeping it soft and nourished.
- Sun protection: green tea has the capability to give your skin the UV resistance. Its polyphenols have the chemopreventive and photo protective quality. Use sunscreen which is combined with green tea extract but not use green tea in lieu of sunscreen as it will not be a wise decision.
- Redness elimination: redness on your skin which are caused by inflammations can be reduced by using green tea regularly. As it has anti-inflammatory components.
- Skin-elasticity: green tea also improves your skin elasticity by its contents.
- Sun-tan remover: you can use green tea powder with cold water on the tanned parts of your skin to have your previous unaffected skin.
- Anti-aging: green tea contains antioxidants at a good amount. Antioxidants neutralizes free radicals of your skin and thus prevent pre-mature aging.
- Anti-cancerous: its antioxidants may prevent skin cancer. A study in the UK shows that those who drank 2 or more cups of green tea in a day had 65% lower risks of getting squamous cell carcinoma.
It is also good for improving psoriasis, rosacea conditions.
I must include that green tea is not only good for your skin but also for your hair. So it is a product which can make you a total package of beauty.
Green tea contains Vitamin B which helps you control the split ends and strengthening your hair follicle.
Its ECGC can enhance hair growth.
It has DHT blocker which can stop baldness. And this is obviously an impressive point to know.
It also has cleansing qualities to use it in a hair wash.
Some of us have a hectic and such a busy schedule that they can’t regularly make face packs, masks and use them. Green tea can help them to have a flawless face overnight to attend the next day party without being anxious.
Some may also stay busy whole day that they will need overnight face packs for their routine face care.
So in that case you can use this face packs to keep overnight-
- Green tea with potato juice:
Brew 1 or 2 green tea bag and then let it cool. Then use 1 tsp of this with potato juice on your face and apply all over the face. Keep it whole night.
This will work on dark circles and also even skin tone.
- Green tea with honey.
Green tea toner:
Toners are used to shrink the pores, even and cleanse the skin. We have known till now the effectiveness of green tea on our face so it can easily be used as a toner.
You can make green tea toner at home by –
Brewing 1 tea bag in 8 oz of water for 15 minutes. Then putting it in a spritz bottle and adding 30 drops of essential oil. Shake it to mix it properly. Now you can use it daily on your skin.
You can also make it only using green tea.
Green tea skin care products :
Green tea skin care products are now available everywhere as it is now being widely used. Apart from drinking and homemade green tea mask one can buy them and use easily. There are some-
- First aid beauty hello FAB caffeine Matcha wake up wipes:
These wipes are a helpful one to use after being tiresome having a party. These will not only cleanse the makeup and dirt but also will energize the skin due to its caffeine content.
- Lina Hanson Global Treasure Eye/Neck treatment + Balm :
It will soothe your sunburns, reduce puffiness of eye. It is a good one for anti-aging care.
- Clinique even better clinical dark spot corrector & optimizer:
This product contains green tea extract of japan which have high levels of caffeine to prevent irritation.
- Green tea seed serum:
This serum possesses the quality to hydrate your skin which will moisture it for a longer period. Its amino acids and minerals are liable for this effect mainly.
- Green tea and jasmine sheet mask:
If you are searching for a good mask then you can try this. Green tea combining with jasmine will smooth the skin and also will control the sebum of skin
- Origins RitualiTea Powder Face Mask in Matcha Madness:
This matcha and green tea mixture renew’s skin texture. It also has an amazing scent to mesmerize.
Green tea Cream and Powder:
It is found that using green tea topically is better than consuming it as by using it on the face you will directly contact with the upper layer of skin and it will benefit quickly.
Green creams and powders can be easily found on the beauty shops now as it is becoming a favorite one for all day by day.
There are some brands which have been producing green tea face cream for summer, for day, for night. You can choose any of them according to your consideration.
But before choosing one, you must look on the label for the better and real one.
- Check the ECGC content as it is easily oxidized when comes in contact with oxygen. Look at the top of the ingredient list, it should be mentioned there. If it is on the bottom, then it indicates there is not enough green tea extract to be effective.
- It is found that EGCG conc. should be of 50 to 100 micrograms per ml to rejuvenate your skin cells. And it is also safe for your skin.
- You should also check for the carrier as green tea itself can’t penetrate the skin solely. Carriers can be herbal extracts, alcohols, and oils.
There are also green tea powder on the market. Matcha green tea powder is one of the most talked green tea product to use. It gives your collagen status a boost. When the powder is applied, the skin slowly absorb it and it repairs skin damages.
This powder helps you to diminish skin inflammation, blemishes and brightens the skin also.
Best Brand of Green Tea for Skin
Which one is the best is really a big confusion as each brand has its own speciality with additional benefits. I can suggest you some of the bests here-
- Tea cups full Green tea
- Yoji green tea
- Jasmine Rose Organic Green tea
- Matcha green tea
- Organic bay green tea
- Golden tips jasmine green tea
- Tetley green tea
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Ques: Which type of green tea is the best for skin?
Ans: It is a broad question. So I suggest you all to see the labelmof the product and then choose according to your skin nature.
Ques: Will drinking green tea help my skin?
Ans: yeah. It will surely do this task.
Ques: Is drinking green tea good for skin?
Ans: Yes. It is definitely.
Ques: Does green tea clear skin?
Ans: Yes. It does.
Ques: Does green tea help acne scars?
Ans: Yes. It can cure acne and diminish acne scars also.
Ques: How much green tea should you drink a day?
Ans: 2-3 cup a day. Not more than this as it may show adverse effects on your health.
Ques: Can we apply green tea on face?
Ans: Sure and it is in some way better also.
Considering these all it is a sure that green tea is really a good friend to have daily to enhance beauty. So have or use it to have a flawless, glamorous, healthy skin.